News

News

Hypernatraemia in a dog

An 18kg, 2 year old female speyed kelpie cross presented to the Frankston Animal Emergency Centre after a visitto the beach, where she had ingested a significant volume of seawater over a number of hours. After emerging from the water at the beach the dog vomited, collapsed and developed mild convulsions. On presentation the dog…

Read more

Massive bee envenomation in a border terrier

Case Report A 5 year old male castrated Border Terrier presented to the Animal Emergency Centre following massive bee envenomation. His owners came home and found him distressed and surrounded by multiple dead and dying bees. At presentation, the dog was mildly obtunded, panting and had injected mucous membranes. The rest of the vital parameters…

Read more

Are your pets part of your bushfire survival plan?

While the fear that the devastating impact to property, land and lives only seem to grow with each new bushfire season, some forethought, preparation and a written Bushfire Survival Plan that encompasses your family pets is key to minimising riskes and reducing stress for both your family and your pets. Consider the following when preparing…

Read more

Hot weather can harm pets

Another scorcher! Heatstroke is one of the most serious conditions we see at the Animal Emergency Centre. It is life-threatening, requires intensive veterinary care, and is totally preventable. Heatstroke is defined as a state of extreme high body temperature resulting in thermal injury to tissues. It occurs when heat generation exceeds the body’s ability to…

Read more

Intra-abdominal spermatic cord (testicular) torsion in a 4 month old dog

Wally is a 4 month old male entire Brittany Spaniel that presented to his regular veterinarian for peracute severe abdominal pain and vomiting. He was immediately referred to AEC Gold Coast for evaluation and treatment. Prior history was unremarkable, other than a right undescended testicle, with no trauma or dietary indiscretion that his owners were…

Read more

Salbutamol toxicosis in dogs

A 9 month old female speyed Whippet weighing 11.8 kg was examined at the Hallam Animal Emergency Centre after her owners returned home and noticed a Ventolin multi-dose inhaler had been chewed up. The dog’s owners noticed that she was trembling and had a pounding heart visible against the chest wall. Physical examination revealed a…

Read more

Spike swallowed a sewing needle!

Spike is a 4-month old domestic shorthair cat who came to the Hallam AEC after his owners had witnessed him vomiting some cotton thread. His owners were uncertain when he may have eaten the thread, but commented that it was possible that a sewing needle may have been attached to the thread prior to ingestion….

Read more

Not so pet-friendly snail pellets…

Chloes’ owner came home from work one day to find, to her horror, Chloe sitting with a torn up box of iron-based snail pellets. Chloe, a young kelpie cross, thought it was her lucky day when she found the box of yummy, rusty red pellets had been left outside following some gardening the previous day….

Read more

Top 10 human medications poisonous to pets revealed

The Pet Poison Helpline offers tips for the prevention of pet poisoning caused by human medications. Justine A. Lee, DVM, DACVECC, associate director of veterinary services at the helpline, said as far as animal poisonings go, “they are unfortunately very, very common.” The 24-hour helpline is available throughout North America for veterinary professionals and pet…

Read more

Misty’s dilemma – eclampsia in a new mum

Misty, a lovely little 1 year old Jack Russell Terrier arrived at the Animal Emergency Centre in Woolloongabba one night panting loudly, with a high temperature, a rapid, irregular heart beat and struggling to stand. Her legs seemed to be stuck in rigid spasm and her muscles were trembling. Misty had given birth to a…

Read more
Undefined
Your nearest clinic: Undefined
Undefined