…was referred to the Frankston AEC with a history of being quiet, not eating and vomiting for two days. As a young Labrador, the referring veterinarian knew that this was a big cause for concern – there always has to be a significant problem to put a Labrador off their food! Tilly was also known…Read more
Cuddles – the dog that ate christmas
Where it all started… On the 27th of November, Cuddles started to vomit at home and was very lethargic. Cuddles’ owner had noticed that a Christmas decoration which she had been playing with had gone missing. Cuddles’ was taken to her regular veterinarian, where she was placed on a drip, given pain relief, antibiotics and…Read more
Meet Zorro, an 18 month old Staffordshire bull terrier
On Christmas Day, Zorro was being minded by some family friends who also have a dog. Christmas turned to horror when Zorro chased his mate across the top of a salt water swimming pool cover and fell in. We’re not sure exactly how long Zorro was in the pool before he was spotted by the…Read more
Sally and the snails
Meet Sally… Sally is a 10 month old chocolate brown Labrador. One afternoon… Sally had been playing in her yard and seemed completely normal when her owners came home. They fed her as usual but about 30 minutes later she started to shake a lot, collapsed and started to seizure. Her owners rushed her to the Mount…Read more
Holly was only 11 weeks old and 7kg when she got herself into strife.
Holly, an 11wk American Bulldog puppy, went investigating one day and her owners found her with her head stuck down a household drain. She was painful, swollen and had some difficulty breathing. She was taken to her regular vet, where she was treated with oxygen and medications and she improved significantly. Her normal vet suggested…Read more
Bella is a 16 week female Pugalier that presented to the Animal Emergency Centre as her owners noted she was becoming increasingly lethargic. She had been off colour and not eating for a few days prior. On examination, Bella was noted to have white gum colour, difficulty breathing, a sore abdomen and she was in…Read more
Little roxy – clings on to life!!
This is the story about the smallest dog with the largest will to survive against all the odds! Roxy, a gorgeous little Chihuahua weighing only 1.5kg, arrived at the Hallam Animal Emergency Centre collapsed and barely alive after surviving a horrific dog attack. Roxy’s owners had found her lying unconscious in a pool of blood,…Read more
Missy has a lucky but smoky escape!
Missy and her family (furred and human) were involved in a house fire this year. Read on to learn her story. Missy is a very sweet 6-year-old female speyed Ragdoll that presented to the Animal Emergency Centre in Hallam over the Queen’s Birthday weekend in June. Missy’s drama began on the Saturday night when the…Read more
Thymic haemorrhage in a 6 month old dog
Viv is a six month old female entire Italian Greyhound. She presented to the Animal Emergency Centre (AEC) with a non-weight bearing lameness in her right forelimb after jumping off a couch. Radiographs revealed a fracture of the distal radius and ulna. Analgesia was provided overnight and fracture repair performed the following day at the…Read more
Warning! Please read this paragraph regarding MAGPIE FLEDGLINGS. Magpies have a 2 week period as part of their lifecycle where they live on the ground, learning to forage, hide, and strengthen their wings. Their parents are watching and do swoop to deter cats and dogs. We understand it may be distressing to observe but it…Read more