Electrocution

In order to avoid any injury to yourself, do not touch your pet until the electrical source has been turned off or moved.

What to do:

  • Unplug the electrical cord or shut off electricity
  • If this is not possible, use a wooden broom or another non-conductive object to move the pet away from the electrical source
  • Check patient for a pulse and also check to see if he/she is breathing, begin CPR if necessary
  • Cover with a blanket to prevent loss of body heat
  • Consult your veterinarian or the Animal Emergency Centre. Even if your dog is not showing any obvious signs of having been electrocuted, you should still seek veterinary help right away. Electrocution can cause abnormal electrical activity of the heart, or fluid can build up in the lungs hours after the shock. These can be fatal.